So, what makes children so special?


Gokul

“Nalla pudichikkonga” called out Gokul from the front seat. Seated on his cycle carrier and holding his little shoulders for support, I wondered if I should ask him to stop. The sun was at its peak that afternoon in Uthukuli. Gokul was taking me for a ride in his bicycle.
The little guy pedalled hard against the wind. Suddenly, the handlebar wobbled and I almost jumped – but Gokul regained his balance. The wind was on our faces and we laughed aloud for no particular reason. “Pathingala, naan nalla doubles-adippen” he said as the road came to an end. Pressing the brakes hard, he jumped off the cycle like a billy-goat. Huffing and panting, he looked at me and smiled, sweat dripping down his brow.
It’s a sight I will never forget. The sun. The lonely road. The bicycle. The little guy in front of me. I was in love with them all. 

Thirumeni

She kept me company the entire day, talking about her school and life in general. She’s a sportswoman who’s doing her best to balance her studies and sports. But there’s one more thing that Thirumeni is good at. 
She takes very good photographs. She has the eye of a good photographer, she sees things. But the reason I’m writing about her is this: Thirumeni gave me a ring she made herself – it’s woven using the thin shoots of a plant. "I just felt like making one for you. Keep it safe," she said, as she gave it to me. It’s the most beautiful ring in the world and I treasure it. Who says diamonds are precious? 



Rahul

I don’t know why, but, from the moment he saw me, he started telling me stories. It’s an understatement to say that he’s adorable. “Oru kadhai solluren” he would start, gently patting my hand. And he would start his story, looking me in the eye. His stories are mostly about animals – cows, ferocious tigers…he even told me a story about a bootham! He comes up with the most amazing stories, this little guy. I wish I could retell them, but the charm of Rahul’s stories lies in the way he tells them – with his eyes wide, his tone serious, his hands drawing patterns in the air. The best part of his stories is the end. He would finish with the most disarming smile in the world.  


Now do you understand why we love children? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cuckoo Forest School

We are building Cuckoo

Nothing Goes to waste in Nature or Art